COVID-19 Information for Parents Updated Sept 2021
Main symptoms of Covid-19
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Delta variant symptoms
The Delta variant is now the most dominant strain of COVID-19 in the UK and is highly transmissible. Common symptoms of the delta variant are;
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
What to do if your child has symptoms
If your child has any of the main symptoms of coronavirus:
- Get a PCR test to check if you have coronavirus as soon as possible.
- If the test result is negative they do not need to isolate and can return to school.
- If the test is positive NHS track and trace will contact you. They must, isolate until the date provided by NHS track and trace. Others in the household who are negative, under 18 or double vaccinated no longer have to isolate. If they do develop symptoms they must get a PCR test.
If you have symptoms please book a Covid-19 test by clicking here; https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
If you do not have symptoms asymptomatic testing is now available for families with school age children. Click here to order your tests; https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests